Linux Systems Administrator
Location: Calverton Office
IMS supports multiple bioinformatics initiatives from government and commercial institutions in public health and medical research applications. With a tech-savvy base of approximately 240 internal users and thousands of external users relying daily on the IT services built and maintained by IMS, IMS is looking for an entry-level Linux Systems Administrator
to work with our team of approximately 15 IT specialists to maintain and enhance the IMS IT infrastructure. Tasks include building and maintaining system software on servers and networking components, performing routine Linux administration and maintenance, performing the initial troubleshooting steps to assist in the resolution of issues for multiple projects, assisting in the selection of vendors for technical components, and preparing documentation for infrastructure components (e.g. installation and change control). This position also assists with back-up and recovery, including disaster recovery, and archiving data.
- Bachelor’s degree from a U.S. Department of Education accredited institution in Computer Technology, Mathematics, or related field
- 0-3 years of related experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with Linux and TCP/IP networking
- Familiarity with at least one programming language such as Java, Bash, Python, Perl, etc.
- Experience with git and configuration management tools such as Puppet or Chef a plus
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to relay technical information to clients and users in layman terms
- Demonstrated strong analytic and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organization skills
- Must be able to multi-task, meet deadlines, and work within a team
- Strong presentation skills preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Level 5 Public trust security clearance
If this sounds like the right position for your career submit your application.
Submit Your Application